JessabellaReads

Jessabella Reads

Young adult book reviews, author interviews/guest posts, news, giveaways and more!

Dance of the Red Death
Bethany Griffin
Clockwork Princess
Cassandra Clare
Witch Fire
Laura Powell

Crewel

Crewel - I received an ARC of Crewel in exchange for an honest review. Thanks Macmillan!!!First Thoughts: When I first saw the cover for Crewel, I loved it so much that I wanted to read it even before I had any idea what it was about. After I read the description, I thought, "Wow, this sounds extremely interesting and original!" I just had a feeling that I would love this book. My Review: This book kept me up all night reading. Literally! I could not put it down. Crewel starts immediately with a quite powerful scene where the Guild comes to take Adelice from her family and the tension never lets up. You never know what is going to happen next. The story takes place in a very unique utopia. The world of Arras is controlled by men, but women known as "spinsters" use looms to weave the very fabric of time. The spinsters weave every aspect of life in Arras, essentially creating a perfect world. They can control weather, births, deaths, ect. There is no violence, because deviants are "ripped" from the weave. (In other words, they just disappear) In some ways, the whole idea of weaving time is confusing. I imagine this is because it is such a foreign concept, that it is difficult to rationalize and understand. Although Gennifer Albin does a really good job of explaining how the whole process works, without the feeling like you are reading a textbook. I really liked the main character Adelice. She was brave and not afraid to question things that didn't seem right to her. She also had a witty, sarcastic personality that I quite enjoyed. Almost immediately, Adelice starts to realize that there are some not so good things going on at the Guild. There she meets two sexy young guards who help her in different ways. There is a sort-of love triangle going on between her and the guards, but that gets sorted out pretty quickly. You will know who she really has feelings for even before she does. I do not blame her though, as she has been segregated from guys her own age for her entire life. It's no wonder she has little experience with men. All in all, I loved this book. The world was beautiful, and the plot was fast-paced and suspenseful! Gennifer Albin seamlessly mixes science fiction, drama, and romance for a read that will leave you wanting more. Well, no worries, the huge cliff-hanger at the end practically guarantees a sequel!