JessabellaReads

Jessabella Reads

Young adult book reviews, author interviews/guest posts, news, giveaways and more!

Dance of the Red Death
Bethany Griffin
Clockwork Princess
Cassandra Clare
Witch Fire
Laura Powell

The Last Academy

The Last Academy - The Last Academy was pretty middle of the road for me. I felt that the characters were not very deeply developed. The main character Camden was likable enough, though there were some points where things she said or did got under my skin a bit. For example, when she gets to Lethe Academy, she refers to a group of girls as her "friends", after only having one or two interactions with them. To me, that seemed odd. Also, there were quite a few boarding school cliches in the book, and some of the situations between the students were a little too obvious and predictable for my taste. That being said, the plot itself was fast-paced and exciting enough to keep the me turning the pages. I read the book in one sitting. I will admit that I was surprised when I finally learned what was really going on at Lethe, and the mystery and suspense leading up to the reveal was quite spooky at times. I really enjoyed racing along with Camden as she tries to figure out what is happening at the school. I do feel that some of the flaws I found in the book might not bother a younger reader quite so much. I just didn't quite connect with the whole boarding school experience and social situations. I did connect with the deeper emotional aspects of the book, but to tell you what they were would be a spoiler. I will say that there are some really deep parts to this book if you can overlook some of the more superficial character flaws. While reading, I found quite a few things annoying; but after turning the last page, I felt as though I had learned something important and profound. (If that makes any sense.)All in all, The Last Academy was an enjoyable read. It was suspenseful, thrilling, and the end had my heart in my throat! I would suggest that if the blurb catches your interest, then go on and pick this one up. It is a fast paced thriller that will keep you on your toes and turning the pages late into the night!